December 31st, 2010
A few notes to update you on our activities in private equity and advisory for the chemicals industry. If you have not had a chance to check our updated website, please do so and let me have your comments www.neilaburns.com
- Silicones: Our involvement with SiVance, carved out of Clariant, September ’09, continues to be a great pleasure. The business is doing very well. The carve-out could not have gone more smoothly and we are still hiring to support continued growth in the coming year.
- Other equity activity continues with a focus on specialties in North & South America and Europe. Compared to this time last year, the pipeline is packed very well. Our partnerships with GenNx360 and Linley continue to bear fruit across a fairly wide EV range up to $1Bn +.
- Our advisory practice focuses on surfactants, oleochemicals and related feedstocks. Our partnership with Desmet Ballestra Italy has been particularly active with the recent re-launch of their ethoxylation platform on new technology. We continue to limit other advisory work to a few long-term clients. However, we will expand our reach into Asia and Latin America with additional personnel in the coming year.
- Our support of the ACS, CM&E Group continues to be very fulfilling. In March, Tim Wilding of Oppenheimer gave an outstand review of chemicals M&A. Then, in October, a panel including GE Capital, Lanxess, Jones Day, GenNx360 and Houlihan Lokey sold out the venue with their “Anatomy of a Deal” discussion. If you are in New York City, January 6th, please join us for lunch with the ACS Chief Economist for some unique, unedited analysis of the industry’s prospects for 2011. Register here.
- In partnership with ICIS, we are organizing and chairing the 1st World Surfactant Conference in NYC area, May 12 – 13 2011. Preliminary details here. This is a business conference targeted at senior managers in the industry.
As always, please feel free to reach out if you think we can help with anything. Our equity capital program combines a patient outlook with good understanding of the chemical industry. We like to support management teams with a growth agenda and to enable owners realize their ambitions for their businesses.
Our best wishes for a happy and prosperous New Year.